Choosing the best topic for your debate can be daunting. A person, even the professional essay writer, can never come up with a perfect topic instantly that is arguable and defendable.
Even if you have the relatable content but if you do not have an engaging topic, chances are you will lose your audience’s interest. So to choose a topic that is right and appropriate is essential but the most difficult part of creating a debate.
Are you looking for expert help to find you debate topics that will make your debate compelling? This blog is written to help you find the best topic for your debate.
1. What is a Debate?
A debate is a formal and serious discussion on a particular topic or a subject. In a debate, opposing and counter-arguments are presented to support a certain topic or argument. This kind of discussion is often held at places where there is an audience and a panel to judge the arguments put forward.
There are some basic elements that every kind of debate has. These elements include the logical consistency of the argument and supporting evidence, their factual accuracy, and the emotional appeal.
Usually, in debating contests, held in schools and colleges at an academic level, there are certain rules that are to be followed. There is a certain time limit in which a person has to put forward some views and arguments.
It is a fact that in a day to day life we find ourselves in situations where we debate or argue. The same argument when it takes place in a formal sitting gets a shape of a debate where strong and logical proofs are to be given to support your viewpoint and reject the counter-arguments.
In academics, debates are taking place to not just analyze the ability to convince his viewpoint but also to increase knowledge.
1.1 Types of Debates
Generally, there are four types of debates. Each of this type of debate is conducted differently depending on the situation, setting, and the topic. The types of debates are:
- Oregon- Oxford Debate
- Lincoln - Douglas Debate
- One- Rebuttal Debate
- Rebuttal Debate
No matter which type of debate you are going to do, if you want a strong debate to get you a debate topic that is unique, strong, and arguable and topic on which the point of view of the debater can be proved through shreds of evidence and facts.
2. A List of Debate Topics
The topic of the debate is the first thing that your audience will come across so it should be compelling and interesting so the audience will get interested and motivated to hear your point.
If you want your debate or speech to last forever in the heads and hearts of the audience make sure to choose a topic that interests them. And to find a topic what a person has to do is to research thoroughly and deeply.
Your research topic should provide you enough evidence that it strongly supports your point of view and reject and deny the opposing argument.
If you have already been assigned a topic then it is easier to just continue to gather material, but if not then think of your interests and passions and things you know you can convince people with facts and logic.
Here is a list of debate topics that will leave a mark on your audience's mind.
2.1 Debate Topics for Middle School Students
Here are some good debate topics for the students of middle school.
- Every person should have a pet.
- Playing a musical instrument is mandatory for every student.
- All schools should ban homework.
- School uniforms should be banned in every school.
- Soda and fizzy drinks should be banned in college cafes.
- PE should be made mandatory for every student in high school.
- All middle school students should take part in community service programs.
- Schools should not allow cor[poral punishments.
- Censorship is important on the internet in school.
- Junk food should be banned by the government in schools.
- Parents should attend parenting classes.
- Co-education schools are better for education.
- The government can restrict freedom of speech if needed.
- Democracy is the best policy for every government.
- Students should learn to recycle things.
2.2 Debate Topics for High School Students
High school debate topics are a bit more complex than the topics of middle school. Here's a list of debate topics that is suitable for every high school student:
- Human cloning should be banned.
- Animal testing should be strictly banned.
- Violent video games should be banned by the government.
- There should be a limit on freedom of speech.
- Death penalty should be abolished.
- Animal abuse in the circus should be banned.
- Underage girls should be allowed to abort their unplanned children.
- Progressive tax rates are not justified.
- Marijuana should be considered a social offense and a crime.
- YouTube should be blocked in the school premises.
- Internet service should be legally given to the citizens by the government of the US.
- The democratic government is the best form of government.
- There should be heavy fines on people who do not recycle.
- Poetry should be made part of the curriculum for every student.
- Grading criteria of the schools should be amended.
2.3 Debate Topics for College Students
Some excellent debating topics for college students are:
- What will you rather choose: rich and dishonest or poor and honest?
- There are no plausible reasons for the war on terror.
- How are alternative sources of energy effective?
- Books are more entertaining and informative than TV.
- Public schooling is more effective than homeschooling.
- Abortion is ethically legal but not morally.
- The increase in the rate of unemployment is due to advancement in technology.
- Same-sex marriages should be banned and should not be legalized anywhere.
- Adoption is better than bearing kids.
- Prostitution is the crime and the only reason behind the increased rate of HIV/AIDs.
- Celebrities do not make good role models.
- The increased crime rate in the country is due to an increased rate of immigrants.
- Sex education should be made part of the curriculum.
- The criminal justice system of the United States is ineffective.
- Propaganda is the tool used by politicians to manipulate masses.
2.4 Controversial Debate Topics
Controversial topics make the best debates. Following are some controversial debate topics for you:
- Selling alcohol on weekends should be banned.
- Unlicensed pharmacists should be allowed to prescribe medicines.
- The government should ban animal testing.
- Public speaking is the only way to boost a child's communication skills.
- Students should not be allowed to play violent video games.
- Lack of trust in the relationships result in jealousy.
- A man should raise a child equally as a woman does.
- It is important to punish parents for the misdeed of their kids.
- Traditional health care is better than herbal medication.
- Pros and cons of mercy killing.
- Afternoon classes are better than early morning classes.
- The psychological climate of the classroom has a lot to do in the personality development of a student.
- People with higher incomes should be fined more.
- Children under 10 should not be allowed to use gadgets.
- Abusive parents have children with personality issues.
2.5 Educational Debate Topics
Educational topics always work. If you cannot find any topic for your debate choose an educational topic.
- To get a good job it is important to have a degree.
- The skill-based study is better than scientific study.
- Sports should be made mandatory in every school and college.
- Science and arts are equally important subjects.
- Homework gives undue pressure to students.
- No religion should be taught in school.
- Boarding schools are important for students who are not sharp and intelligent.
- For better learning of the students, outdoor learning is important.
- Mobile phones should be confiscated from all students in the school.
- History is an important subject to study in school.
- Private schooling is better than public schooling.
- Different languages should be taught in school.
- Studying maths is more important than studying language.
- STD testing should be offered for free in all educational institutions.
- The government should provide security to schools and colleges.
2.6 Political Debate Topics
- Every person should own a gun to protect himself.
- Britain should not be a part of the European Union.
- Communism is a better ideology than socialism.
- In a democratic government, there should be a limit on freedom of speech.
- International relations are affected by patriotism.
- Politics should be taught in schools.
- Citizens who do not vote should be fined.
- Monarchy should be abolished in Britain.
- Illegal immigrants should be punished as criminals.
- Voting age should be lowered to 16.
- Political and economic instability is the result of refugees in a country.
- Illegal immigrants should be given the right to vote.
- All sanctions should be lifted on Iran by the West.
- It is important to have friendly relationships with neighboring countries.
- Big corporations should pay more taxes.
2.7 Funny Debate Topics
- American Idol is better than X-Factor.
- Dogs are better pets than cats.
- The chicken came first and then eggs.
- Thin crust pizza is better than a thick crust.
- Winters are better than summer.
- Harry Potter is better than Lord of the Rings.
- It is easy to understand a woman.
- If a vampire bites a person who has AIDs will he get it too?
- Can we party after death?
- Female is a better gender.
- Money is greater than morals.
- Children find nursery rhymes boring.
- It is not ok if a woman dates a younger man.
- Cartoons show more violence than video games.
- Men are way more complicated in nature than women.
2.8 Interesting Debate Topics
It is important to choose a debate topic that is interesting and engaging. Following are some really interesting topics:
- Standardized testing is not an effective method to determine a student's intelligence.
- Nuclear powers of the world are responsible for wars.
- There is no third gender.
- Homosexual relationships are against nature.
- Children are depending on technology way too much.
- Parents should restrict the use of the internet at home.
- Money is the only source of motivation in practical life.
- Censorship on educational documentaries is important.
- All non-biodegradable should be banned.
- Gay parents should be discouraged to adopt children.
- Plastic water bottles should be banned.
- Performance enhancing drugs are a myth.
- Telling a lie should be made a crime as well.
- Social media is the reason behind every bad thing in society.
- Parents should respect the privacy of their children.
The topics provided above are some really good choices for your debate. If you are weak and cannot rely on your writing skills, College Essay provides professional help in all academic writings and provides expert writing services to its students.
Place your order today for all your academic papers and essays at affordable prices.