Every individual either aim to or unintentionally persuade other people. They can be good at persuading people in arguments and talks but when it comes to persuading others by writing it can be a challenge for them.
A persuasive essay is that kind of academic essay which is common and almost every student is asked to write in his student life. It reveals the writer’s ability to persuade and convince people through facts and logic.
Choosing a topic for your persuasive essay can be confusing and tricky. Read the blog to choose your topic for the essay and impress your readers.
1. What is a Persuasive Essay?
A persuasive essay is a type of academic writing which is similar to the argumentative essay. As the name suggests, a persuasive essay is writing to persuade people. In this essay, the writer aims to convince the readers with his point of view and ask them to take specific actions.
Just like an argumentative paper, writing a persuasive essay is based on a logical representation of facts and shreds of evidence that backs up the writer's perspective.
Though argumentative and persuasive writing has many similarities the major thing that distinguishes both writings is that in persuasive writing, only one argument is provided. The writer just persuades his audience by presenting his stance and argument alone.
While in an argumentative essay, the opposing argument is also presented, and the choice is left in the reader's hand.
A good persuasive essay strongly depends on the topic a writer chooses. The better the topic the stronger the content. To write an effective and winning persuasive essay, a writer needs to provide his perspective firmly by stating evidence and logical facts.
Learning how to choose an appropriate and interesting topic is all you need to get started.
1.1 How to Choose a Topic
Choosing a writing topic for your essay is essential. The right topic will let you draft an exceptional and well-written essay. It might sound like an easy job to think of an essay topic but in reality, choosing a good topic can be really challenging.
You cannot just randomly start writing about any topic and expect your essay to be brilliant if you do not own the topic yourself.
To select the best topic for your essay take these few important steps
- Know your Interests - You can only draft an effective essay if you are writing about something that interests you and you are sure will interest your reader as well. When you write something you are passionate about, you provide strong logics and the enthusiasm helps to persuade the readers. Only a topic that is close to you will be delivered well, and you will be able to convince and persuade your audience better.
- Narrow Down Ideas - Make a rough list of the topic of your interest. Analyze all the topics and identify topics that you think you can present well as the information available is in a generous amount.
- Pick your Stance - Now that you know the information is sufficient on a topic, decide what your stance is going to be. Pick a side to support with evidence and logic.
- Controversy is the Best Policy - people love to read about controversial stuff. If you are choosing a topic that is controversial, it is more likely that the readers will like your essay. Even if they don't like it they will still read it. If you have your stance over a controversy share it with the audience.
2. Persuasive Essay Topics for Middle School
In some cases, an instructor assigns the topic but if you are to come up with your own topic, you can be creative and unique. Below are given some good persuasive essay topics for middle school students.
- A key to a happy life is kindness. Do you agree?
- All students should participate in sports.
- Summer classes are essential for better learning.
- Cafeterias that sell soda to kids should be banned.
- Censorship should be made on the internet in schools.
- Students should be fined to bring fast food for their lunch.
- Severe punishments should be given to bullies.
- War do not only bring negative outcomes.
- Illegal immigrants should be treated equally as legal immigrants.
- Are humans the real reason behind the climatic change?
- Important life lessons are learned in middle school.
- Vaccinations can be a cause of Autism.
- All school students should have a habit of reading a newspaper.
- Women can do multitasking better than men.
- Men are more intelligent than women.
2.1 Persuasive Essay Topics for High School
High school students are often given persuasive essays as writing assignments. Students attending high school can take help from the topics provided below for their essays :
- Time management is important for a successful career.
- You can easily overcome your fears.
- Students should be allowed to evaluate their teachers.
- Focus can be improved if listening to music simultaneously.
- Students with better grades are more intelligent.
- A person's personality is judged by his dressing.
- Richer people of the United States should pay more taxes
- Social media is the cause of depression among teens
- It should be mandatory for students to learn a foreign language in high school.
- Technology has handicapped people.
- Teenage behavior is most influenced by peer pressure.
- Wearing a uniform should be made obligatory for all high school students.
- Time travel is not possible.
- Global warming is a made-up issue.
- Robots are smarter than humans.
3. College Persuasive Essay Topics
In college, teachers and instructors give persuasive writing assignments to test their students' ability to convince the reader with logic.
Writing a good persuasive essay is important in college as a huge part of your grades depend on it. And to write a good essay, a strong topic is important.
Following are some examples of good college persuasive essay topics:
- Cell phones should be prohibited for college students on the premises.
- Fencing the borders is the only way in which immigration issues can be solved.
- There should be severe punishments for psychopaths and sociopaths.
- Parental supervision is necessary for children's internet activity.
- Self-defense should be taught to every female student at a young age.
- Local crime should be given more importance than international terrorism.
- Feminism has devalued motherhood.
- Children raised by a single parent can have personality disorders.
- Pornography is the cause of rape cases in the United States.
- People who have higher education than their partners tend to dominate them.
3.1 Controversial Persuasive Essay Topics
As stated before, controversial topics always have an edge. People tend to read about topics that are controversial and want to know the writer's stance on it to see the other side of the story.
Some controversial topics for your persuasive essays can be:
- Mercy killings should be legalized.
- Polygamy should be banned in the United States
- Torturing criminals is justified while investigating.
- Mentally unstable couples should not have kids.
- Underage marriages should be banned and people should be punished if they do so.
- Discrimination based on gender is logical.
- Abortion should be legalized globally.
- Strict parents raise better children.
- Sex education should be given at an early age.
- Dating at workplace is unethical.
3.2 Crime and Law Persuasive Essay Topics
If you are writing your essay for an audience that is fascinated about reading crime and law, you can choose the following topics to write your essay on:
- Corruption of our police.
- Police brutality is an abuse of power.
- It is important to prevent homegrown criminals.
- Racial discrimination is growing in American societies.
- Education is the answer to all societal problems.
- Criminals should be punished by making them do community services.
- Cyberstalking should be banned.
- Women should be treated equally in jail.
- The advantages of legalizing marijuana are greater than its disadvantages.
- The criminal justice system is imperfect on many levels.
3.3 Sports Persuasive Essay Topics
If you like to read about sports and you think your target audience is interested in sports as well, you can write your persuasive essay on the following topics:
- Animal sports are immoral.
- Women who do bodybuilding as risking their lives.
- Consumption of energy drinks affects athletes and their performance.
- Females should be motivated and encouraged to participate in sports more than males.
- Cheerleading is a sexist sport.
- Gender and racial discrimination prevail in sports.
- WWE is entertainment more than a sport.
- Sportsmen's spirit is innate and can not be learned.
- Women dance and swim better than men.
- Strength comes with the physique.
3.4 Persuasive Essay Topics on Animals
- Animal testing is immoral and evil.
- Conditions should be made on keeping exotic animals as pets.
- Hybrid by breeding different animals is unethical.
- Dogs should not be trained by punishments.
- Steroid injections are extremely dangerous to animal health.
- Vaccinating pets is mandatory.
- Pet health care should be free.
- We all should save endangered species.
- Circus animals can not be trained without being beaten.
- Animal abuse should be punishable.
3.5 Funny Persuasive Essay Topics
Humor always works. Writing a humorous persuasive essay requires creativity and strong convincing power.
Some funny persuasive essay topics include:
- It is perfectly fine if your boyfriend likes barbie dolls more than you do.
- What happens if Mojo Jojo took over the world?
- Spam emails are more interesting.
- It is okay to pretend busy at work.
- Girls are better stalker than boys.
- Making bad decisions is an art.
- Pets plan to kill their owners.
- Monday is the most hated day of the week.
- Autocorrect is dangerous for relationships.
- Boys play more video games than girls.
3.6 Persuasive Essay Topics on Education
Education is an important subject to discuss. You can write your persuasive essay on the following educational topics:
- The annual assessment of teachers and instructors is important.
- College lectures should be shorter for academics and longer for practical life.
- Students are given undue pressure of homework.
- The educational sector should be given more funds than other sectors.
- Children shouldn't be forced to go to school.
- Early morning classes in school are useless.
- Nap break should be given in schools to freshen up minds.
- Filters on internet content are important in schools.
- Life lessons are more important than book lessons.
- Teachers are responsible for student's bad grades.
The first and the foremost step in any academic writing is choosing a topic. If your topic is interesting and appealing, the readers will be interested to read your essay.
For persuasive essays, the topic you choose should be broad so that a writer gets more chances to convince and persuade a reader. If you find it hard to write a persuasive essay you can take our writing services at College Essay.
We provide professional writing services for academic papers like essays, term, and research papers. Our experts and professionals provide their customers with high-quality work with zero percent plagiarism.
Place your order today at exciting prices and get your essays professionally written.