Arguable Thesis Statement Examples for Your Essay
In almost every form of writing, a thesis statement is essential, whether writing a paper or an essay. Without a thesis statement, there is no point in drafting anything.
Because of its importance, instructors expect students to write the best thesis statement to make their academic writings extraordinary. Students often feel scared while coming up with a thesis statement as they do not know the basics.
The thesis statement examples should be looked at first and carefully to help you draft yours perfectly and effortlessly. This blog will provide you with several examples of thesis statements to make you understand better.
What is a Thesis Statement?
A thesis statement is a sentence or a statement that presents and communicates the main idea of an essay or paper. It is important for every essay type as this is the stance that a writer takes and then supports this by providing evidence in the entire writing.
A thesis statement is part of the introduction section of every piece of writing. It is the main argument on which the essay is based.
A thesis statement is presented in the introduction to grab readers’ attention and make them familiar with the topic and what they will be reading.
A thesis statement is written for a lot of reasons, such as:
- A thesis statement sums up a topic or a subject that is under study
- A thesis statement is like a path for your essay or paper that directs you towards a specific destination.
- The thesis statement made by the writer leads the audience towards the conclusion.
- A thesis statement is always made in relevance to the topic.
- A thesis statement is the main argument and stance of the writer.
Elements of a Good Thesis Statement
To make your essay or research paper effective, you should draft a strong thesis statement. A writer can prepare a good and reliable thesis statement if the following elements are added to it:
- A thesis statement should contain the central idea of your work.
- A reason that suggests why you support the following idea.
- A counterargument.
- Factual or valid information that will back up the writer’s stance.
(back to top)
How to Write a Thesis Statement?
Drafting a correct thesis statement is not as simple as it sounds. Sometimes these statements are tricky to write, which makes students think it is confusing and complicated. If you know the basics, you will draft a perfect thesis statement for your work.
The professionals suggest that it takes enough time to draft a thesis statement as it either makes your essay or ruins it. Keep refining your weak thesis statement until you get a perfect one.
Below are some basic things that should be done to create a thesis statement:
- Read and understand the topic question attentively.
- The topic chosen for your essay should be relevant to its type.
- Research and gather information related to the topic.
- Collect supporting material and statements of facts related to the topic and arrange them.
- Understand the significance of your topic and collect data to form a statement.
- Form a specific statement.
- The topic chosen should be debatable.
(back to top)
Thesis Statement Examples
To give our readers a better understanding of a thesis statement, we have gathered some examples. These are examples given to make you understand the difference between the thesis statement of different essay types.
Argumentative Thesis Statement Examples
Expository Thesis Statement Examples
- The university athletes who provide services should be compensated as they work hard for themselves and their institute’s reputation.
- Mercy killing or assisted suicide should be legalized in all countries of the world, and doctors should make sure they provide the right end-of-life care to the patients.
- To get women into politics and power, encourage them to run for office. They should be educated on how to run for office at the grassroots level.
Analytical Thesis Statement Examples
- A typical high school student’s life is distinguished by study time, attending classes, and participating in other peer activities.
- The US spends more time on its military budget than all the other industrialized countries combined.
- School uniforms may bring extra cost, but wearing them can eradicate the difference between the students of different groups and classes, making the school’s environment healthy.
Informative Thesis Statement Examples
- The author has successfully developed an argument in favor of gun carry, but focused on emotional appeal with no factual information that has weakened his argument.
- Although Alex includes several convincing, logical arguments using facts, readers may disagree with the presented analysis because of his sarcastic tone.
- ‘The Story of an Hour’ presents how an institution, language, and appearance can suppress a woman’s ambitions.
Compare and Contrast Thesis Statement Exapmles
- Digital literacy skills should be taught to students to make them understand the difference between fake news, propaganda, and legitimate news.
- Sex education in schools should include the discussion on consensual sex to increase the cases of sexual assaults.
- The rise of populism was observed due to the increase in globalization, the Syrian refugee crisis, and the decline of manufacturing jobs.
Persuasive Thesis Statement Examples
- In both the United States and Japan, cultural and traditional expectations substantially impact students’ academic performances.
- Apart from other differences between high school and college, one significant difference is the level of emotional maturity to succeed.
- Although people believe Pepsi is a substitute for Coke, there is a vast difference in taste and nutritional content.
Narrative Thesis Statement Examples
- Beauty pageants should be stopped from appearing on TV because of their motive of empowering women in contradictory ways as they make models wear obscene clothes and judge them.
- Medical marijuana helps veterans who have PTSD, so it should be legalized in all states.
- The artists who support feminism should have a political position and voice to use their power for the betterment of society.
General Thesis Statement Ideas
- Cyberbullying is increasing, causing stress and depression in teenagers. Parents should take extra care and limit the use of smartphones to combat this problem.
- To adopt other cultures and languages of the world, cultural experience is essential that comes from studying abroad.
- A vegan diet is a healthy habit, but it can cause problems when traveling and interacting with other cultures.
- A plethora of children does not get vaccinated due to their illness. We should make sure that all able and healthy children get vaccinated to have swarm immunity.
- Schools and colleges should provide educational resources in the summers to students with low-income to better understand what they have learned the whole year.
- Libraries are an important resource for communities, so they should be funded adequately by the local municipalities.
- Companies should provide opportunities for their employees to work 5-days a week and also allow them to work from home so that a person can easily balance the work-life resulting in better work performance.
- University provides an education that helps a person in his practical life and future career. Still, high school students should not be forced to get admission to university right after graduating.
- Initiatives have been taken by different campaigns and magazines to introduce diverse groups’ models, but it will still take time to change people’s perception of a healthy body image.
- Imposing a hefty tax on the purchase of cigarettes will not stop poor people from buying them. Instead, the government should ban them from stopping their sale.
- It is unfair to just talk about privileged working women like done in the book “Lean In”. Lower skilled and low earning women should be discussed as well.
- Blue-collar workers and coal miners, whose jobs are diminishing, should be trained in skills and given jobs in technological and renewable energy sectors. This will not just promote the local economy but will also solve unemployment issues.
- If you want your business and company to grow, make your team a diverse one to get empathy between the workers, better and richer ideas, and more cooperation.
- The concept of the nuclear family should be reimagined. The normal family should not be limited and defined to two-parent households.
To put it all in a nutshell, creating a strong and debatable thesis statement is essential for a good research paper or an essay. If you still find it hard to develop a perfect thesis statement for your essay, get professional help.
Writers at CollegeEssay.org give professional assistance and guidance to students for their assignments. Be it a college essay or a research paper, CollegeEssay.org provides high-quality writing services.
To get your academic assignments written from us, place your order today.
1. What are the 3 parts of a thesis statement?
The three parts of a thesis statement are:
- Limited subject
- Precise opinion
- Blueprint of reasons
2. Is a thesis statement one sentence?
A thesis statement is not always a single sentence. The length of the thesis depends on how deep an essay will be, but it should still be as clear and concise.
Barbara is a highly educated and qualified author with a Ph.D. in public health from an Ivy League university. She has spent a significant amount of time working in the medical field, conducting a thorough study on a variety of health issues. Her work has been published in several major publications.